Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Learning to Relax

I have a leetle problem: I'm not very good at resting. Wait...what?? Well, the dictionary definition of rest is "to cease work or movement in order to relax, refresh oneself, or recover strength." Doesn't sound super complicated, right?

When I rest, I'm usually taking a break from school to take a shower, or watching a movie in the evening, or skyping someone. Sounds ok. However, even while I'm taking a break, I'm always thinking about what class I have coming up, and what homework is due, and everything else I need to fit into my schedule. I hardly ever take time to just rest, or "cease work to refresh oneself", without thinking about STUFF.

Quite honestly, it's exhausting. I end up being worn out all. the. time. I hardly ever feel really rested, and my life feels like a crazy blur. And I've almost forgotten how to relax. It's hard for me to slow down and not think about everything. It's hard for me to take a {real} break.

Blur Pictures, Images and Photos

Last weekend, my youth group went on a ski retreat. One of the topics that my youth pastor discussed was the importance of rest. That's what really got me thinking. I need to take a few more timeouts in my life, and just slow down. Yes, school is important. Yes, family is important. Yes, friends are important. But when they all take over my life, it gets unhealthy.

Relax the Brain, Not Stress Pictures, Images and Photos

So, I've decided I'm going to add some rest into my life. I'm going to give myself a break sometimes. I'm going to slow down and balance my business with a little relaxation.


Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Relax Pictures, Images and Photos

Love,
Amanda

4 comments:

  1. Yeah I'm getting dark circles under my eyes... I just look forward to exam-stress being over and done with... life is so busy, breaks can be hard to find... but Retreats, oh they do wonders :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Amanda. :) I know how you feel, especially this time of year with exams. Thanks for the good reminder. ;)

    abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh. tell me about it!!!!! i feel like half the time im lazy and the other half im overworked and stressed out (the second half is larger than the first) when i rest, i feel like i've wasted a bunch of time and if i get a stinkin' b on an exam it's because i rested. UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like this frequently. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete