Tuesday, November 2, 2010

HomeschoolED Woes

Typical homeschooler/VP student conversation:


Random public schooler: "So where do you go to school?"

VP Student: "Actually, I'm homeschooled."

Public schooler: "Whoooaaa! Really? Do you have any friends? What do you DO all day? Are you ever going to go to college?"

VP Student: "Yeah, well, actually I take most of my classes online. And yeah, I have lots of friends. And I do school all day.... And DUH I'm going to college."

SOUND FAMILIAR?

Yes. And it gets SO annoying. *sigh* I don't like being stereotyped. It's not cool.


unsocialized homeschooler Pictures, Images and Photos

Does that seem like me? In any way, shape, form, or stretch of the imagination? I hope not.

But there are toooons of famous people who were homeschooled, and do not fall under the homeschooler stereotype AT ALL. For example, Christopher Paolini (the author of the Inheritance Cycle), Chris Brown (the R&B singer), Hilary Duff, the Jonas Brothers, Jordin Sparks, and Elijah Wood were all homeschooled. See?? There are plenty of normal homeschooled people out there!

I love this video. It describes homeschooling perfectly.


Anyways, thanks for listening to my homeschoolED rant. :)

Until tomorrow....

Amanda

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, I couldn't agree with you more. Gah, so frustrating. Except I take the geekiness one step further - I'm a pastor's daughter too. And it really annoys me that people ask all the time to do stuff for them at our church because I'm home all day. "Oh, you're always at home - do you think she'd help me with this?" slkfjlsdkfjk. I have piles and piles of homework just like any other person that goes to school!
    Sorry. Rant now over ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gr8t post! LOL!

    NO... that does NOT look like you lol.

    Wow... The Jonas Brothers are NORMAL??? gahh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe Taylor Swift was also homeschooled... In highschool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, yes. Most people just express a polite interest/surprise when they hear I am homeschooled, but a couple years ago my family and I were at the store renting a movie. It so happened that it was spring break for the town at that time. We had taken ours the week before or something. Anyway the lady behind the movie rental table asked if we were on Spring Break and we said no, we're homeschooled (to explain why we weren't taking it with everyone else I guess) and she said, "oh, so every day is spring break for you!"

    Uh.... no....

    haha. I'm with you, sister! Although yes, I can't say the Jonas Brothers are NORMAL. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about it a week or so ago, and thinking, "What if the next time someone asks me where I go to school, I just say 'Veritas Press Scholars Academy?'

    Of course, that could lead to strange glances if the person asks where it is and I say, "Oh, Pennsylvania...."

    ReplyDelete