"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
Needless to say, this isn't exactly an easy thing for me to do. With friends, I hold on to them as tightly as I can, partly because I love them with everything in me, and partly because I'm deathly afraid of losing them. But sometimes I have to let go of people. This isn't to say that I'm not friends with them, just that I let go of them, mentally and emotionally. I have to learn to let go of friendships that are toxic, no matter how much I love the person, or accept that maybe some friends just don't love me as much as I love them. And while it's hard to come to terms with this, I have to do it if I'm ever going to move forward through life.
I also have to let go of the anger and hurt. I tend to hide my emotions, and so they build up inside of me, leaving me bitter and resentful. Not only is this dangerous for me, it's also unbiblical. God doesn't want me harboring my resentment and hurt, even if I have every right to be hurt and upset. So I need to learn to let that go as well, and accept that what's past is past.
And I need to let God be in control of my life. I can't control everything. I can't make the perfect college decisions all by myself. I can't control how the people around me act. I can't control what's going to happen tomorrow or the next day. And as much as this scares me and leaves me feeling totally helpless, I need to trust God that He's going to work everything out for the best.
I'm still trying to figure out how to let go. It's one thing to know that you have to do it, and another thing to actually, truly, let something go. But it's so incredibly freeing, like having a clean slate to start over on. And although it's terrifying, I'm willing to make the leap. So here's to fresh starts, letting go of the bad, and appreciating the good.


Oh, Amanda. This speaks to my heart in ways you can't even comprehend. Or maybe you can. Nonetheless, I love you. :)
ReplyDeleteOh this is all so true and applicable to many of us. I love the part about the friends, it's happened to me too xx
ReplyDelete